Gandh bankar havaa mein bikhar jaayN hum
Os bankar pankhuriyon se jhar jaayn hum
Too na dekhe hamein baag mein bhi toh kya!
Teraa aagan toh khushboo se bhar jaayn hum
Gulab Khandelwal was an Indian poet who wrote poetry in different forms such as Lyrics, Sonnets, Rubais (Quatrains), Dohas (Couplets), Odes, Elegies, Lyrical Ballads, Epics, Poetic Dramas, Ghazals, and Masnavi with equal felicity. He even introduced some of these forms into Hindi literature and apart from Hindi, has also written poetry in Urdu and English. The span of his poetic language touches upon Sanskrit on one end and Urdu on the other. Gulab Khandelwal died in Ohio on 2 July 2017.
Some of his books were presented awards by Hindi Sansthan (U.P. Government), India
- Usha – by U.P. Government in 1967
- Roop Ki Dhoop – by U.P. Government in 1971
- Sau Gulab Khile – by U.P. Government in 1975
- Kuchh Aur Gulab – by U.P. Government in 1980
- Ahalya – Vishisht Puraskar by U.P. Government in 1980
- Har Subah Ek Taza Gulab – Nirala Puraskar by U.P. Government in 1989
- Adhunik Kavi-19 – Akhil Bharatiya Granth Puraskar by Bihar Government
- Ahalya – Akhil Bharatiya Rambhakti Puraskar by Hanuman Mandir Trust, Kolkata, 1984
Some of his books were selected as textbooks for colleges:
- Aalokvritt Khandkaavy was selected as a textbook for Intermediate course in Uttar Pradesh India since 1976.
- Alokvritt khanDkavy had been in the B.A. Course of Magadh University, Bihar, India since 1976.
- Kach-devyaanee khanDkavy had been in the Intermediate Course in Bihar, India.
- Ahalyaa khanDkavy had been in the B.A. Course of Bihar, India.
- USha mahakavy had been in the B.A. Course of Magadh University, Bihar, India since 1968 for several years.
US and Canada
- Gulab Khandelwal was awarded the Honorary Citizenship of Baltimore City (USA) on 13 July 1985 “for his achievements and eminent gifts to our times.” This day was declared as Hindi Day in the entire state by the Governor of Maryland. The Mayor of Baltimore also declared this day as Hindi Day in the City of Baltimore.
- He was awarded the Vishisht Samman (Special Literary Award) by the Antar Rashtriya Hindi Samiti, Washington D.C. (USA) on 6 December 1986.
- On Republic Day celebration of India, 2006, he was honoured and the title of ‘Kavi Samrat’ was bestowed upon him by the Governor of Maryland, USA.
- He has been honoured by Hindi Parishad Toronto and Edmonton (Canada) and has been honoured by numerous literary and non-literary institutions in India and USA.
- Gulabji was felicitated by Uttar Pradesh Hindi Sahitya Sammelan in 1979.
- He was conferred the highest honour of Sahitya Vachaspati (equivalent to the degree of PhD), by Akhil Bharatiya Hindi Sahitya Sammelan, under the president-ship of Padma Bhushan Dr. Ramkumar Verma, in 1989.
- His two books – Bhakti-Ganga and Tilak Kare Raghubeer, were released by the President of India, honourable Shri Shankar Dayal Sharma in 1997.
- He was felicitated jointly by the then Governor of U. P. Shri Vishnu Kant Shastri, Ex Chief Minister of U. P. Shri Mulayam Singh Yadav, Pujya Morari Bapu, and Ex Attorney General Shri Shanti Bhushan in Etawah, U.P, in 2001.